Wednesday, June 24, 2009

This week, although only half way done, has been busy for me so far. I've had several interviews and been able to flush out the rest of the story for the next piece I'm going to do -- a story focusing on the young mothers. I'll finish that by Friday.

In fact, my focuses for the next three articles have coalesced; I'll be doing one on young mothers, one on restaurant and business owner Aldo Monge and his partner, and one on (documented) older immigrant women who have devoted their time to working with outreach programs and other similar organizations to help less fortunate migrants.

I'm still struggling to figure out what I'd like to do for the last two pieces. I feel as if I've hit a wall: I don't have many new leads. I've gotten to know a lot of the women in the community, but besides Aldo, I haven't met any of the men. Most, as I've mentioned before, work in landscaping or restaurants, and I'd like to do a feature on those men, but I'm not really sure how to meet them. I've gotten the impression that they're less willing to talk than the women. Those that are here alone would be particularly difficult to find a way to meet. I'm planning to attend a few of the masses, and there's a large party in mid-July that I'll be attending as well. Hopefully I can meet more people there.

I also would like to do another feature on the legal aspect of immigration. Many of the stories I've heard and the conversations I've had have raised a lot of questions regarding that issue. For example, why don't some of the County officials and programs report the undocumented migrants they encounter? I'm not by any stretch saying that they should. It's just something that I've been wondering about. Similarly, what happens when an undocumented mother gives birth to a child in a hospital? The child is an American citizen, but do hospital officials have to report the mother?

I need to do more research on the issue. I'm planning on reviewing the current national legislation, talking to local officials about local laws, and hopefully getting in touch with some immigration lawyers. I think it might provide a good angle into the final piece, something tying into the future of immigration in America.

2 comments:

  1. i my experience it's a real moral and legal mess. who to rat out, who to help. here's a story i wrote about kids who were born elsewhere, and who get the shaft. not sure where the "dream law" is, whether it passed.
    http://www.citypaper.net/articles/2006-02-02/canon.shtml
    you're doing great stuff, katie...glad to help out.
    yrs, Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you! as far as I know, the Dream Act hasn't passed yet, but it's something I need to check on. A lot of the outreach centers here are trying to branch out into advocacy, to urge Congressmen to pass it.

    ReplyDelete